Friday, June 24, 2005

How 'Bout a Little Rain Over Here?

We have a well on our property, and Jim is convinced I'm draining it dry. I've been babying the various flowers and plants in our gardens to keep them going during the current dry spell we're having. Every day I go out and hand water all the patio pots and hanging baskets. A few days ago I dragged a hose to one of the larger gardens and set up an oscillating sprinkler to drench the shrubs and flowers. For whatever reason, we have very low water pressure from the hose bibs, and instead of the ten-to-fifteen foot arc of spray I anticipated, all I got was a little dribble about 15 inches high. I can deal with that - just water longer and keep moving the sprinkler head. When I went out after a half hour or so, I found that the sprinkler had blown it's cork, so to speak, and water was just running out in a stream. Sigh.

We have another sprinkler head. This one is a ring about 8 inches in diameter with holes poked all over it. I figured this one might spray up a few feet into the air, so if I placed it in the middle of the tomato plant and veggie garden, it would water the whole plot at once. I put the ring squarely in the middle, turned on the water full blast, and held my breath. It squirted out this mini-water fountain about 6 inches high. All in all, this little garden patch is no more than 8'x10', and I had to move the sprinkler six times before it soaked all the plants.

Low water pressure is just a small downside of country life. Maybe the only one I'll have to learn to live with, and if so, it's no real biggie. On the plus side, no water bill!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Who Links Here