Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Have You Hugged Your Rhody Today?

Azalea Macro

I read something today that I found very interesting. Great article. According to a study at Rutgers University, we humans have an emotional attachment to flowers. "Our hypothesis is that flowers are exploiting an emotional niche. They make us happy," McGuire says. "Because they are a source of pleasure, a positive emotion inducer, we take care of them. In that sense they're like dogs. They are the pets of the plant world."

I really like that analogy - pets of the plant world. I get it. Tending to the garden is like taking care of pets - we feed them, water them, protect them, and give them lots of love and TLC, and they reward us by looking adorable.

And then eventually, of course, they up and die on us.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Thursday, June 09, 2005 12:36:00 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

My irises tugged on my heartstrings last month. They were wonderful!

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 9:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Who Links Here