Monday, June 06, 2005

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

My heart rate got an unexpected jumpstart this morning. I was on the phone, looking out onto the patio, when suddenly I spied a small, black head peeking over the stone wall. This was followed by a long, slithery black body that kept coming, and coming, and coming, until it reached the patio and rose up the side of a large planter, its little tongue zipping in and out of its mouth. SNAKE!!

Oh. My. God! Once I picked my jaw up off the floor, I hung up the phone to go outside to tell Jim what was going on. He was saddling up the mower by Le Shed. Before I could get to the door, the phone rang again.

It was a call for Jim, so out I went with the phone and the news of the patio intruder. He took the phone and calmly began his call while watching the unfolding of this unending snake. It was a good 6 to 8 feet long. Unbelievable! After a minute or so, he slithered himself back up and over the patio wall into a bed of day lilies. Well, that's just great. This freaked me out even more, him being out of sight, because I know He’s Out There. I’ll never be able to walk barefoot through the yard again with the same feeling of abandon. If only it hadn’t been so BIG and so BLACK and so GHASTLY. Now, I’m a reasonable person. Garter snakes are reasonable snakes, but this one? Nightmare material.

Jim says he hates snakes, but for some reason he likes this one, which is apparently a Black Rat Snake. I somehow thought Jim would be my protector and take it on. But no, he considers it “beneficial” because it feeds on mice and moles and other small rodents. Hmpf. I’m rather partial to our little chipmunks and squirrels and mousies, and hate to think of them ending up anybody’s dinner, especially a nasty-ass snake's. After all, the little hoo haa's are only here because we feed the birds, and in return they entertain us with their acrobatic antics. So now they’ll think we’re just fattening them up for the chow line.

Well, you've heard it before - Nature is a cruel Mother.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Who Links Here