Saturday, May 21, 2005

Buggy Booster

What a gorgeous day. I decided today would be a great day to get a few tomato plants. Jim had amended and rototilled our garden patch a week or so ago, and it was in perfect shape for a garden. The location is also perfect - a southern exposure that gets sun all day, and the watering hose is nearby.

So it was on to Lowe's to check out their Garden Department. I was a little apprehensive about what I might find there, since I had stopped in a couple of weeks ago and the selection was rather pathetic. I could tell as soon as I drove up that today was a good day for buying plants. Lots of color and variety and selection. Super! Suddenly I needed a lot more than just tomato plants. No carts available, so I followed an elderly lady to her car, relieved her of her empty cart, and entered the garden store. Along with a couple hundred or so other flower shoppers.

Happily made my selections of tomatoes, sweet peppers, cucumbers, marigolds, petunias, and my favorite - a cute little succulent called Hen and Chicks. Spent a lot of time fastidiously selecting each pot, making sure I got the best of each. With all the shopping cart traffic, it was easier to pull the cart out of the way and bring my selections to it rather than maneuvering around bent over behinds and baby strollers. Made a last stop for some blueberry bushes (on sale!) and returned to my cart. Or rather to where I THOUGHT it was. No cart. Must have forgotten where I left it. Started walking up and down the aisles searching for my wayward cart, then doubled back again. After tramping through the whole department, it became evident that the cart had been spirited away by some absent minded fool who thought it was theirs. Started an in-depth search, poking my nose into every cart in the store. Nobody had my stuff.

Now I was seething. Get another cart. Back to square one. So what the heck had I spent the better part of an hour choosing? Well, by the time I figured out what plants I wanted - AGAIN - and was about to get into line for the register, THERE THEY WERE! All my plants, everything I had lovingly chosen, scrunched together on a marigold shelf. Can you believe it? Somebody just wheeled away my cart, and when they discovered it wasn't theirs, instead of taking out their own stuff, dumped out MY stuff. Jeez Louise! What a nasty little trick. I hope their tomatoes give them heartburn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Who Links Here