Friday, April 01, 2005

Rabbit, Rabbit ...

I had a friend who always made it a point to be the first to say "rabbit, rabbit" on the first day of the month. Apparently you'll have good luck all month if the first words you utter are those. And you get extra good luck if it's your birth month. Well, RABBIT RABBIT everybody. And since April is the month I was born, I'm claiming all the good luck for myself. Besides, it's my blog and I get to do what I want.

I like having my birthday in April. I think it's a beautiful time of year, very fresh and new and springy. The flowers are in their earliest stages, and the weeds haven't had a chance to take hold. The earth is all spongy and smells - well - earthy, I guess. A good thing. It's so pastoral. Love that word. Evokes images of Bo Peep tending her sheep, floppy bonnet, full skirts, petticoats, staff.

Pastoral:

adj 1: of or relating to a pastor; "pastoral work"; "a pastoral letter" 2: relating to shepherds or herdsmen or devoted to raising sheep or cattle; "pastoral seminomadic people"; "pastoral land"; "a pastoral economy" [syn: bucolic] 3: used of idealized country life; "a country life of arcadian contentment"; "a pleasant bucolic scene"; "charming in its pastoral setting"; "rustic tranquility" [syn: arcadian, bucolic, rustic] 4: suggestive of an idyll; charmingly simple and serene; "his idyllic life in Tahiti"; "the pastoral legends of America's Golden Age" [syn: idyllic] n 1: a musical composition that evokes rural life [syn: pastorale, idyll] 2: a letter from a pastor to the congregation 3: a literary work idealizing the rural life (especially the life of shepherds)

[Source: WordNet 2.0. 2003 Princeton University]

Serenity now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Who Links Here