Sunday, March 13, 2005

It's a Winter Fairyland Out There .....

Yesterday's balmy breezes were just a spring tease - we're back to a winter white out. Probably won't stick, but it's beautiful right now, and coming down pretty fiercely. The birds are fussing and fighting on the suet cage and seed feeders. Right now it's a quarrelsome bunch of starlings flapping to edge out a foothold. Earlier there was a flock -a FLOCK!- of cardinals brunching between the feeders, sampling a little of everything. I couldn't take my eyes off them. I've never seen so many cardinals in one spot. Usually I've seen a pair or perhaps two pairs, but here today there were a dozen, probably more. The shades of red are gorgeous against the white of the snow. The smaller birds have had to wait their turn - finches, grosbeaks, warblers, sparrows. The woodpeckers are there as well, hammering away at the suet cakes. A bluejay is patiently waiting his turn off to the side. I could watch them all day. Must get busy.

It looks like a great day to knit. My current project is a Patons Divine Lacework Sweater in a color called Halo Blue, a soft icy blue. Fell in love with the pattern and yarn, so bought it, not noticing until I got home that the pattern is designated "Intermediate." Hmmm.......I think I'm more an advanced beginner. The yarn is very tufty and soft to the touch, although a bit troublesome to knit up. The back and front are finished. I've started a sleeve, where the lacework kicks in, so we'll see if I'm up to the challenge. I hope so.

The Tonks have been keeping a close eye on the birds, and now they're feeling sleepy. They've decided to settle in early for their afternoon nap. A good day for it, all in all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Who Links Here